Monday, January 7, 2008

My Journey to the Top - One step at a time.

A Freelance Television Journalist. --That's my formal title right now. I freelance for L.A. Cityview Channel 35 the city's public access news channel and NBC channel 4.
Channel 35 and Channel 4 are like apples and oranges. At 35, the shows are taped, there is one newscast a week (it runs repeatedly throughout the week), and without knocking any of the work we do, essentially, 35 is P.R. for the city. We cover City council and the Mayor but when it was discovered that Villaraigosa had a mistress, you can best believe our cameras weren't rolling.

NBC 4 is the media beast you find in every major market. There are newscasts around the clock, breaking news choppers chasing the police scanners, and if it bleeds it leads. (I've used that saying way too much in my career.) Needless to say, I am thankful for the struggles I've gone through in the Los Angeles market and the of course, the outcomes.

I've been out here 3 and 1/2 years. It took me 2 1/2 just to get on at Channel 35! I was determined when I moved out here but I didn't account for the fact that you have to EAT to live! So, yeah, it took 2 1/2 years just to make one small step. An impressive resume (If i may)doesn't necessarily go far in a city with a mentality of "Who do you know, and What are you willing to do to get there." But Thank you Channel 35. They are the first station to give me a legitimate chance. 35 has helped to craft my TV style writing (which is very different from print) while also introducing me to the City Players (council members, Organization Heads, etc.) and keep me current.

But just keepin' it real, after a year of re-learning what was never actually forgotten, I said enough is enough, "I'm trying to get to the top!" So, I went to the 2007 National Association of Black Journalist Conference which was held last year in Vegas determined to get in the face of a Los Angeles news director and land a gig on one of the major networks. It's amazing what power your Will has. Keep in mind, I had been mailing my resume DVD for nearly 3 years to the Los Angeles ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates with no response. That's why, I'll never forget the hot August day in Vegas. I walked right up to Bob Long, (the KNBC news director) and said, Bob, I can do the job. Bob took a look at my tape. (the same tape he'd already seen just a few minor additions) and Bob said, "O.K. we'll try you out." And just like that I got a job! Bob didn't question the fact that I had not gone live in about 4 years (going "live" aint easy). He didn't question the fact that I had quit my gig in Milwaukee to move to L.A. He didn't remind me that everyone on the news in L.A. is much more "experienced" (resumes dating back 15 years). We actually kicked back and chopped it up about his military career and my military brat upbringing!

I've learned two major thing from this experience. Do not give up on your REAL DREAM and everything happens in its' due season. In the process of mailing my DVDs and not getting any responses, I began to doubt whether I was even cut out for the Los Angeles Market. I doubted it so much so that I began to mail my tapes to other cities, St. Louis, Vegas, Memphis (markets I knew I could conquer) (thank-god, my follow through was bad with them) John 10:10 states that the Enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy. In this case, Satan was trying to steal and destroy my dream. Matthew 6:33 says to: Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven, and all things will be added to you. Very important for me to note here that also, when I stopped focusing on My My My dream, and really got into my word and researching the things of God . . . . .THAT's when my dreams began to actualize.

So as I continue to chronicle my adventure to the top, I want everyone out there to GO GO GO for your dreams. NOW faith. THROUGH faith. and BY faith. That's how it works.

1 comment:

MrJaymo said...

Your tenacity is inspiring. Congratulations on your success!